|Host of the 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards, Ricky Gervais arrives at the Beverly Hilton.|
Photo Credit: goldenglobes.org
The Descendants or The Artist. Clooney or Dujardin. Streep or Williams. Only one of the two in the three duos will be victorious.
The journey to the Oscars has begun, with the 69th Golden Globe Awards ceremony that took place on 15th January 2012, at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills. The Golden Globe Awards are the second biggest awards in the world, honouring the best in film and television annually. The ceremony was hosted by prominent British comedian Ricky Gervais, who delivered a mind blowing opening monologue and performance.
The multiple wins trend of the selection committee was ditched this year, with the highest wins of the ceremony being two and three, for The Descendants and The Artist respectively. This was in sharp contrast to ceremonies in the previous years, where a film would have garnered more than five or six wins. The winners of the 69th Golden Globe Awards were as follows:-
Best Motion Picture – Drama: The Descendants
· Best Actor – Drama: George Clooney – The Descendants
· Best Actress – Drama: Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady
· Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: The Artist
· Best Actor – Musical or Comedy: Jean Dujardin – The Artist
· Best Actress – Musical or Comedy: Michelle Williams – My Week with Marilyn
· Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer – Beginners
· Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer – The Help
· Best Director: Martin Scorcese – Hugo
· Best Screenplay: Woody Allen – Midnight in Paris
· Best Original Score: Ludovic Bource – The Artist
· Best Original Song: Masterpiece – W.E.
· Best Animated Feature Film: The Adventures of Tintin
· Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation
· Best Series – Drama: Homeland
· Best Actor – Drama: Kelsey Grammer – Boss
· Best Actress – Drama: Claire Danes – Homeland
· Best Series – Musical or Comedy: Modern Family
· Best Actor – Musical or Comedy: Matt LeBlanc – Episodes
· Best Actress – Musical or Comedy: Laura Dern – Enlightened
· Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film: Idris Elba – Luther
· Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film: Kate Winslet – Mildred Pierce
· Best Supporting Actor: Peter Dinklage – Game of Thrones
· Best Supporting Actress: Jessica Lange – American Horror Story
· Best Miniseries or Television Film: Downton Abbey
Recipient of Best Actress-Meryl Streep win Best Actress for 'Iron Lady'
at the 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards
The presenters of the awards included award nominees and winners from the previous years, such as Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr., Tina Fey, Emily Blunt and Reese Witherspoon. One of the highlights of the ceremony was Meryl Streep’s use of profanity in her acceptance speech, continuing the trend that actress Melissa Leo started in the Academy Award ceremony, where she won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
Matt LeBlanc’s win is a sure resurrection of his flailing career, which became dormant until his regular appearance the TV series ‘Episodes’, where he plays an exaggerated version of himself. The Cecil B. DeMille Golden Globe Award for 2011 was awarded to American actor Morgan Freeman, for outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment.
The Academy Award nominations for achievement in film for 2011 will be announced on the 24thJanuary, and the ceremony will take place on the 26th February 2012 at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, California. American comedy actor Billy Crystal will be hosting the ceremony for the ninth time.
By Lavanya Narayan