Look at all you cheapos reading this article with your eyes wide open. So the BBM voice is out on Blackberry Messenger 7 a.k.a. BBM 7. This means you get to call people for free over wifi. I am going to keep this short and simple, so catch up!
1. Get BBM 7 onto your Blackberry. There are different versions for OS6, OS7 and OS7.1. Google it I can’t spoon-feed everything you know.
2. After installation, connect your device to your wifi network.
3. Pull out your hair because in 98% cases, it is not going to work.
4. Hail Leo Luca!
5. Click Start>Run, type CMD. This would open up Command Prompt or DOS as you call it.
6. Type this -> ipconfig
7. In your device, go to Set up wifi network > Saved wifi networks > find your wifi name > select edit.
8. Untick “Automatically optain ip blah blah”.
9. Put the values as follows:
IP Address: 192.168.1.xxx (put any value in place of xxx, I used 121)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS: 18.104.22.168
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Default gateway address: 192.168.1.1 (Refer to that DOS window and you will see this value there. If it is different, enter that)
10. Select Save and connect.
Your wifi connection would now disconnect, you’d have to connect back to your wifi.
11. Hail Leo Luca again!
So there you go! Now even Blackberry folks can be as cheap as the iPhone ones.
P.S.: If it still doesn’t work, then I am sorry, you will have to pay and call up people.
By Leo Luca
As we all love a little mystery, this post was written by a student from Manipal University, Dubai who goes under the pseudonym of 'Leo Luca'.
Our mystery blog writer who shares his wise-cracking columns every Monday and describes himself as a tall, fair and mirror cracking material who advises the lost and damned (a.k.a. teens) on various personality related issues like building confidence, developing a cool attitude and transforming low-butt jeans to low-waist jeans.
Leo Luca avatar designed by Neha Kalvani.
Read more of Leo Luca: