Dubai is in a Seismic zone of 1.3-3.1 on Richter scale. TECOM buildings are constructed to withstand earthquakes up to 5.5 on the Richter Scale. If a major earthquake were to occur and affect the buildings in the Zone, everyone should be prepared with their own resources for an unlimited period of time.
Inside a Building (if you are inside a building during an earthquake)
- Stay inside, do not run outdoors!
- Take cover underneath a desk or table or against an inside wall, protecting your head and neck.
- Stay away from windows where glass can shatter and from objects that could fall on you.
- Do not use elevators. If you are in an elevator, stop at the nearest floor. Take cover against the wall of the elevator.
Outdoors (if you are outside a building during an earthquake)
- Stay in an open area away from trees, buildings, walls, and power lines. Do not enter building. At least 20 meters away from structures.
- Drop to your knees and get into a fetal position, close your eyes and cross your arms over the back of your neck for protection.
- Stay in fetal position until the shaking stops.
- In a moving vehicle, stop quickly and stay in the vehicle. Once the shaking has stopped, proceed with caution. Avoid bridges or ramps that may have been damaged by the quake.
After Shaking Stops (if you are inside a building after the earthquake)
- Take a deep breath. Stay calm - there may be aftershocks. Move to the centre off the building.
- Do not evacuate until instructed - unless there is immediate danger.
- For most minor earthquakes, it is not necessary to evacuate a building, especially if there are no immediate signs of damage.
- Be prepared to evacuate if instructed to do so. Your Emergency team shall advise on building evacuation.
- Do not use regular or cellular phones except to report serious injuries.
- Assist in the building evacuation of people with special needs.
- If evacuation has been initiated move away from all buildings and follow outdoor guidelines.
- Tune portable radios to local FM station for updates, and follow instructions.
- Security will provide instructions for immediate action by means of door-to-door alert, police-vehicle loud speakers, fire alarms, and bull-horns.
- Do not enter any building that is deemed to be or appears unsafe.
- Leave the area if you smell gas or fumes from other chemicals.
- Be prepared for aftershocks.
- Help injured or trapped people. Give First Aid where appropriate.
- Do not move the seriously injured unless they are in immediate danger of further injury. Call for help.
Courtesy TECOM Investments